Wimshul Cooks

Wimshul Cooks is a blog started by members of The Wimbledon Synagogue to create a cookbook together and, over the past few years it has become highly successful and resulted in a fast selling, celebrated cook book.  It hosts about 300 visitors a month, has more than 750 monthly page views, and has been featured in the press .

The blog is an area for people with an interest in food (and, if you’re Jewish an interest in food is a given) to gather and share the recipes, food memories and family traditions of our community (and other Jewish communities) in all its breadth.

It gives members of this and other communities (including Maurice’s mother from Cardiff, who sent us her coveted chopped fish recipe) the opportunity to share their favourite family recipes and their top tips from the kitchen.

Click here to go to the Wimshul Cooks blog and recipe site.

Now you can buy the book – click here to get your copy.

The WimShul Cook’s Cookbook contains recipes and advice for community events, cooking for a crowd, tips on preparing food packages for the ill or elderly and how to use food to help children learn about celebrating Shabbat and festivals. It takes you through the basics of preparing easy and delicious meals for family and guests, for festivals and Shabbat, even when you are short of time.

The book has been purchased and read by people of all religions and can be found in a dentist’s surgery in New Malden and in kitchens in Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh and Bristol! It isn’t necessary to have a connection to someone in the book to be touched by its content – it is stirring fond memories in all who read it.

What People Are Saying About the Book

“Wonderful…instructive and inspiring, full of love and appealing recipes. You will be charmed.”               

Claudia Roden

“Absolutely stunning Community Cookbook: it really is such a unique and inspiring collection, filled with personal touches that will make it both a book to read as well as to use.”

Rabbi Laura Janner-Klausner 

“I found I couldn’t put it down once I started reading. Such delightful photos and illustrations, lovely anecdotes, histories and amusing stories.”

Marion Style

/ / / /