The Art & Literature group meets weekly to discuss art, music, literature and other cultural topics
The Art & literature group meets weekly on a Friday morning to discuss matters of Jewish and wider cultural interest including art, music, literature with occasional professionally qualified speakers.
The programme essentially consists of some visits to outside places of interest, talks in the Library organised by our own members and the book club. Below is the weekly list of coming events, with home activities taking place, as before, on Friday morning at 10.30 a.m. in the Library.
Here is the Art & literature programe for the coming term all on a Friday morning 10.30 until 12.30 charge normally £1 per person per session,some classes may be subject to change:
- Friday, September 11th talk by Josette Cohen on Jean Zay part Jewish French minister who originated the Cannes Film Festival and was assassinated by the Milice.
- Friday, September 18th continuation of the course on the history ofEuropean Art dealing with Raphael and Michelangelo
- Friday September 25th outside visit to the Wellington Arch and Apsley House ,both at Hyde Park Corner meet at the station at 11.30 and advise Raymond Hart if you wish to join the party
- Friday, October 2nd talk by Rabbi Tony Hammond Amos Oz ” Nomads and Vipers “
- Friday October 9th no class most regular attendees will be in Amsterdam on the visit to Jewish Amsterdam
- Friday, October 16th Further class on the history of European Art on Durer and the German RenaissanceFF
- Friday, October 23rd talk by Rabbi Tony Hammond” Conversion of the Jews – Philip Roth
- Friday October 30th talk by Rabbi Tony Hammond on Isaac Bashevis Singer ” Collection of friends of Kafka “
- Friday, November 6th 1030-1230 talk by Sarah Hebblethwaite, art historian, on Modigliani and his connections with Macchaoli, Picasso, Cezanne and primitivism. Charge £ 5 per person
- Friday November 13th outside visit to the BenUri 100th anniversary exhibitionOut of Chaos- Ben Uri 100 years in London at the Inigo Rooms, Somerset hosue. Advise Raymond Hart if you plan to join the outing
- Friday November 20th talk by Jeff Joseph on Music of theTheatre Meeting the Bible
- Friday, November 27th Book Club which will be the ” Dovwe Flyer” please read and come and give us your views
- Friday, December 4th Showing of a French language documentary “Dreyfue L’intractable verite ” includes interview with his daughter and Francois Mitterand and others then a full discussion on that subject
- Friday December 11th Showing of German film aboutSophie Scholl; ” The White Rose” prize winning and shows of the good Germans around”
The class resumes on Friday January 8th 2016″
Obviously everyone is invited to come along and join in all or some of the above and suggestions for the future are welcome. Should you wish to be reminded of what is happening please contact Raymond Hart on his email firstname.lastname@example.org so that he can add your name to his mailing list.